Thursday, July 13, 2017

Cluttered Home, Cluttered Mind? Why I'm choosing to Konmari my home.

I've ALWAYS been a disorganized mess. Even as a child and all through college and into adulthood I've never been able to have a clutter free organized space. My school binders were a systemless, no-way-am-I-gonna-find-what-I-need-to-study wreck.

And we aren't even going to discuss my closet!

When my parents would get on to me about my inability to be neat and say I will never be able to find anything I always responded with, "I know where everything is. If I put it away I won't remember where I put things." (This of course was not the same line of thinking that I had with my binder!)

Here I am, 25 years old with 15 years experience (😂) and living in my second home in a row with very little storage. Truth be told, this place has way less storage than the old place and while I did downsize when we moved, I obviously didn't do enough.

The truth is, I've been hanging on to clothes I haven't been able to wear in years. Socks past their primes and missing their mates. I have stuffed animals from when I was a child and ones my kids had that are shoved away and never see the light of day. I have handbags, purses, and shopping totes that just peek from their hiding places, wherever I have tried to stash them.

And the mountains of laundry that don't ever get put away due to lack of space and my lack of motivation are shameful!

Oh and last but not least, there is the ever growing Mount Paperest...bills, junk mail, medical paperwork...it's all contributing to the growing peak!!!!

So why am I dedicated to start getting my life in order starting right now, today?

The truth is I'm easily stressed. I have high anxiety. I have a short temper. The only place I feel "at home" and peaceful is in the woods but never ever here in my own home. Why don't I ever feel joyful and peaceful in my own home?

I think the answer is simple. My cluttered disorganized home is wreaking havoc and causing chaos in my mind and spirit!

I stumbled across a post in one of the online mom groups I'm in that highly recommended the Konmari method so I joined the Konmari group and excitedly purchased the book below authored by the self taught Queen of all things organizational, the Marie Kondo herself! (Konmari is a clever play on her name!)



So far I have made more progress in a couple of days of following her methods than years of attempting to declutter slowly and "bit by bit." She addresses why trying to declutter and organize over time doesn't work and doesn't lead to long term success. Her principles and plan for overhauling your home are simple and work!

So it is with a joyful and hopeful heart that I embark in the Konmari journey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment